Saturday, June 20, 2009

Coastin', Part 2



This one was inspired by a classic William Steig cartoon from his 1942 book, The Lonely Ones. This particular image once graced coffee mugs, cocktail napkins, ashtrays and more for decades. Hard to imagine a sentiment such as this being so widespread. I once found an ashtray of the cartoon at an antique store and gave it to an ex-gf I was still friends with, who was a smoker. She wasn't delighted by the gift and derided it with a sarcastic "what a cheery sentiment." When, you're addicted to coffin nails, how can you be a stranger to cynicism, I ask.
I'm currently on the hunt for items with his cartoons, via ebay or antique stores.Let me know if you run into any.

3 comments:

Kris said...

"Sober people are no damn good", I love that! That's my next shirt I get made.

Al McCarty said...

I'm planning on doing it over and offering it as a t-shirt or other merch on Cafe Press, so hang on there. The Bitter Nib store is coming!

Anonymous said...

I have seven 2.5" × 4" signed William Steig cartoon cards. If interested
email: lawrencetraci2014@gmail.com
cell: ( 559 ) 549-1251 / Chris