Thursday, June 27, 2024

Schneider Weisse Aventinus Weizen-Doppelbock

 Schneider Weisse Aventinus Weizen-Doppelbock.


8.2 % ABV, Schneider Weisse G. Schneider & Sohn, Kelheim, Germany. 

I must make now a terrible admission. This is one of my all-time favorite beers and it has not yet properly appeared here in the nearly fourteen years of this blog. A vintage version back in 2012, yes, but not a fresh bottle.

A case showed up today after years of me wondering why we couldn’t get it at the store. Distributor issues, I suppose. And so I bought one and I’m going to drink one. 

This beer is no-brainer for me. I love doppelbocks, I love dunkel weizen. Put ‘em together, you can’t lose. 

So, even though I wrote it about it first about twenty years ago, here are fresh notes on a favorite. 

Clear, light brown to deep amber color, voluminous head that drops down in size.

In the nose: Weizen yeast notes, some spice and dark fruit. Dates, figs, plum, raisin, with clove and coriander. A rich, heady, delightfully complex mix. 

In the mouth:Smoothness itself, super smooth followed by waves of flavors. The rich darkness and the mellow grooves, it all comes together. The best of weizen beers and doppelbocks coalesce. For me, easily the greatest Bavarian beer. If you’re looking for the simple delights of pilsners, lagers, hefe weizen, sure you can look elsewhere, but when it comes to rich and robust, this is what you want. 

Banana is here, too, to join the clove in the classic hefe weizen style, but the dark fruits and the hints up cocoa raise  it up. The high alcohol elevated other things, as well. 

I really can’t remember the last time I had this beer and it’s every bit as amazing as I remember. The glass I drink it from when I had it on tap and always in bottles at the Blue Nile so many years ago. This is a beer they should teach in school. 

This is wonderful. A quick trip to Bavarian heaven. Himmel in Bayern. Or not, don’t look at me, I never took German. 

But, I’ll be drinking more of it, to prove my point to myself,and to everyone that is one of the world’s best beers. 

No comments: