Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Day Block Batch 19 IPA

I haven't been bringing back Day Block growlers much, have I? They've been open for over 4 months and this is only the second beer I'm adding here. Is it because their growler prices are a bit on the high end ($16 for a fill)? Well, since I'm getting a big break in my beer budget, perhaps I should splurge a little. Though I do need to rotate and make the rounds some.

Here come notes on Batch 19 IPA from Day Block Brewing Company:


Day Block Brewing Batch 019 IPA.

I asked Paul if that was his standard IPA, for it bears no other name, unlike Northern Discovery, the first beer I took home form this brewery in growler form. No, said the brewer, he said he wasn't going to make a standard IPA, so this is just being called by it's batch number. Right on.

Clear, light golden coloring, big, white head on the first two pours, not so much with this one for the photograph.

Aroma: citrus delights, bright and lively.

Taste: fruity and bitter, lean and easy-drinking. Grassy and citric hop notes are in charge here (I remember hearing Cascade and Amarillo were the chief culprits), plays long and hard on the palate. Harsh bitterness is kept tame…who am I kidding, I'm interpreting that from a hop-head point of view. Anyone would else would go screaming from this. Big time bitterness, hangs hard and leans long onto the palate. Very rewarding. Wonderful IPA. Love it.

2 comments:

Jeff Hahn said...

Hi Al, Thanks for the review! Just a pro tip for you and your bitter followers... Most Growlers are $15 and for the foreseeable future we do $12 Tuesday fills before 4 PM.

cheers and thanks again!

Jeff Hahn

Al McCarty said...

thanks for the clarification, Jeff!