Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Hammerheart Peter's Portar


Hammerheart Peter's Portar Peat Smoked Porter. 5.5% ABV. Hammerheart Brewing Company, Lino Lakes, MN.

I visited the Hammerheart brewery for the second time last Friday, enjoyed flights, small pours, big pours, dug into the whole line-up, and decided to take home 2 growlers, one on the lower end, one on the higher (but not the highest). Peter's Portar was in the $15  a fill range. I just cracked it open and poured myself a glass. What's up with it?

Appearance: complete and utter darkness, below a tight ring of dark brown foam.

Aroma: yeah, it's smokey, and yeah, it's peaty. with dark malt, cocoa, caramel, and coffee lingering just below. A little charcoal, a hint of anise.

Taste: all of that and more. Full-bodied. Rich, and just a little roasty. Dry mouthfeel, arid texture. Smoke and peat coat the character. A most interesting ale, this one. I could ask this beer to be more of this or less of that, but then it wouldn't be what it is.
I can say for certainty that I've never had a peat smoked porter before, that's for sure. (Also, many times I've heard the remark about this brewery, "aren't they the ones who smoke every beer?" Not true, I tell them all. In fact, on this visit only half of the beers were smoked.)

No comments: