Monday, June 22, 2020

Untitled Art Hazier Triple IPA

Untitled Art Hazier Triple IPA. 9.5 % ABV.
Untitled Art, Waunakee, WI.

And here we have the first beer from Untitled Art here in the Nib. I don't see them often at some of the stores I frequent, and I tend to skip anything that says "milkshake" or "smoothie" on the label. Or "puff". That's how it is, folks, deal with it.

This one says IPA, which I like, and tripel, which is sometimes good, and also, at the front, Hazy(Hazier), which I'm less thrilled about. It was more expensive than I like, more than $18/4-pack, but I felt like, heck, let's go in all the way with this one.

But before I begin, I went looking for more information on this particular beer, which is something that I do. What the can tells us is: Triple India Pale Ale. Brewed + Canned by Untitled Art, Waunakee, WI. And: Artist: Stephanie Kamen. So, I took to their website, and under the heading of "Beer", there are three options to click on: Artists, Collaborators, Distributors. There is no place to learn even the names of their beers, or to read any words about the recipes, ingredients, etc. But I kind of want to know some of that stuff. And then I found this, on Untappd:

Our goal is to make new and exciting beer styles available in Wisconsin. Called "Untitled Art", the beers are presented without explanation allowing the drinker to formulate their own opinion. In a market filled with exhausting back stories and kitschy names, we strip this away and let the beer speak for itself. With creative influence from Levi Funk, Untitled Art is similar to a gypsy brewery. We brew what we want, when we want it.

Okay, that's cool. It's just odd that Untappd lists 121 beers from this company, but their website won't tell me anything about any of them. That's just a little backwards. There's a lot about their sparkling waters, though.

On with the beer:

Hazy, yeah. Bright golden hue. Slim white head.

In the nose: Big citrus. Traces of sour/tart, verifiably funky. Complexity abounds, outside of the fruit.

In the mouth: Grapefruit, lemon, and orange, with an extra-urgent pungency I can't quite trace. Alcohol content reveals itself early on, limning the length of the palate, sending the fuzzies up into the brain. Flavor remains fruity and juicy, and never remotely bitter, with a side of scalding booze.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm into it. But that's what you get with your triple IPA, right? I do wish it were more of an IPA. There's some bitterness here, but not enough for my liking.

Well, I drank down 4 of them without complaint. But, I won't hand over $20 that easily again.


No comments: