Friday, April 7, 2023

BlackStack Stacksman West Coast IPA

 BlackStack Stacksman West Coast IPA. 


6.9 % ABV, BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

Months ago, I decided to stop reviewing hazy IPAs, especially those from BlackStack. I grew bored with my own complaining about this style of IPA that is not for me. I’d still drink them if I got them free, but I would no longer comment on them. But this one is not a hazy. So, let’s drink it. 

Clear, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: bold and super-citrusy. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, in that order.

In the mouth: somewhat crisp, somewhat bitter, clean and smooth. Citra and Mosaic, that classic combo, mixed with Strata. Medium bodied. A touch of sweet and juicy. But it could be drier and bitterer. That could bring it closer to a true West Coast. 

A meeting of the minds with Ax-Man Surplus, a Twin Cities institution that we've been purchasing all manner of knickknackery from for crafts and/or nonsense for 25+ years. Who'd have though that our hand selected Strata, Citra, Mosaic & Columbus Cryo could come together so well? A heavy dose of love for the Ax-Man from the Stacks Fam.

No comments: