Monday, August 21, 2023

Drastic Measures So They Say West Coast IPA

 Drastic Measures So They Say West Coast IPA.

6% ABV, Drastic Measures, Brewing, Wadena, MN.


I like West Coast IPAs. If you’re a regular reader, you know that. And I try to keep up with new ones, even, or especially, from breweries that are known for the diametrically opposite style, New England/hazies. Let’s see how this one is. 

Chill haze. An attempt at clarity. Golden toned. Slim white head.

In the nose: grapefruit rind, orange peel, pinch of pine.

In the mouth: bitterness boards the palate, accompanied by a sliver of sweet. Crisp and clean,, but I want it crisper, cleaner. Medium bodied, slightly bitter finish. Easy enough drinking. Passable, but a bit too soft. 

Unfortunately, the back label copy is not in the Untappd listing, so I can’t copy and paste it from there, I’m not going to search for it elsewhere, and I’m certainly not going to write it all out, as I used to do. I’ll share this small tidbit: “…crystal clear and loaded with a hop bite that is sure to make even the most hardcore beer gangsta smile.”

Question: does every brewery think of “gangsta rap” when the subject of West Coast IPA comes up? Does the name of this beer come from a Tupac lyric? 


No comments: