Sunday, November 2, 2014

Bell's Mars, The Bringer of War, Double IPA


Bell's Mars, The Bringer of War, Double India Pale Ale. Alc. 10.1% by Vol.
$4 for a 12 oz. bottle, where I found it. Better be good!

I know this is meant to go with Horst's The Planets, but I don't seem to have a copy around. So, I'm just putting on Coltrane's Interstellar Space and hope that works out. Wait, no. Sun Ra! He was from Saturn, you know. "We'll take a trip to space, the next stop Mars…the next stop, Mars…"

Appearance: clear, bright crimson coloring, under a slimmish, off-white head.

Aroma: Potent and pungent. This would be proper usage of the mis-used term "dank." Smells like Otto's jacket. Deeply  piney and resiny, citrus fruit stuffed in liquor bottles, then rolled on the forest floor, in search of your stash.

Taste: Massive mouthfeel. Intense. Fairly complex, floods the mouth with a multitude of sensations. Thick and slick on the palate, oozing hop bitterness and …and everything, man. yum.

Once in a while, you wonder that if after enough imperial IPAs, will you run out of things to say? Will it be more of the same, same ol' thing over and over again? It's true, I do wonder, I worry. But it's worth the worry to get to a good one like this.

Also, I wonder if the label tells us anything…"This is one of a seven part series inspired by Gustav Holst's musical composition "The Planets". Strap in and embark on a flavor tour of our solar system--in the order of Holst's piece. Mars to Neptune."

Since I was taking a trip with Sun Ra, instead of Holst, I beg to differ. "Second stop is Jupiter."

No comments: