Monday, November 17, 2014

Bent Brewstillery Rose Gose


Bent Brewstillery Fall 2014 Rose Gose, Where The Wild Beers Are, Leipziger Gose with Jamaican sorrel, allspice, and roses. Alc. 4.6% by Vol. This bomber set me back about $9 at Elevated.

What's a Leipziger Gose, you ask? Read about it here.
Appearance: lightly hazed, amber/golden hue, slim, soon-gone head.

Aroma: crazy sourness at first, a little funk, then band-aid. Intentional? Can't be sure with these guys. A little bit of fruit, some malt sweetness, but most of all band-aid.

Taste: Ooooh! Ow! Okay, first of all: sour, then comes the salt. Wincing, grimacing, head-shaking, squinting, teeth-gritting, lip pursing, all part of the pleasure that comes with the pain. I think. And more band-aid. I'm frowning in disgust more than anything else through this experience. But like a good soldier, I forge on.

Light bodied, lean and drinkable…-ish, but for that horrible taste. Sigh…Just not into this at all.

I'm going to take a break and read the label for a spell: "Notice: traditional high carbonation, chill well….A spice bazaar, a gentle sea breeze, intoxicating musky Rose fields, MOUTH PUCKERING SOUR! That's right baby, a smackdown for your senses! Spicy, flowery, musky, sour, salty, inviting and sensual, charming and dashing, bottled class. For all you discerning Mensches. Unpasteurized. Bottle conditioned. Decant when serving."

Part of me is saying "pour it down the drain" (what some would refer to as a "drain pour"), but I'm going to see if I can make it through this 750 ml bottle. And after a bit, the bandaid is less discernible, but it is there, it hasn't gone away. And with each new meeting of glass and lip, it's there again. With the salt and the sour, you know it's intended as a Leipziger gose, the rose aspect definitely shows itself, and I'm not sure about the Jamaican sorrel. There's definitely the sourness there, as well, and the bandaid is getting dimmer as we go along, but it's never forgotten.

I'm not adverse to sour ales by any means, and I enjoy most of this, but that band-aid infection still sticks the the palate and is inextricably married to the memory.

This one is going in the minus column. And so far, the BB brews are not working out for me. I might have to hold out for a free one before I try another.
Postal Script: I did not actually finish the remains of the glass, and the final few ounces did find their way into the kitchen sink. I tried, Lord, how I did try.

No comments: