Saturday, October 26, 2019

Madhouse Strawberry Fields

Madhouse Strawberry Fields. Barrel aged sour ale with strawberry and basil.
6.8 % ABV, 10 IBU.
Madhouse Brewing Company, Des Moines, Iowa.

The last of my Iowa beers from my August visit are from Madhouse, which is now no house. I waited a month before cracking my first bottle, then learned of their fate. There are two more. I will enjoy them, and tell you about them, while I can't truly recommend them, since you probably can't buy them.
Sorry.
Maybe some are still left in stores.
No guarantees.

Clear,  bright golden color, slim ivory head.

In the nose: Tart at the start, then come the berries. Sour, fruit, and funky yeast commingle.

In the mouth: Sweet at first, for a second, then, YOW!, comes the sour. Lip-smackingly tart, and forever fruity. Sour never stops. Light bodied, fresh, and refreshing. Sour and fruit keep coming up and jumping on the palate, delivering deliciousness.

I'm enjoying this.

And I'm peeking on the internet and seeing that others are still enjoying it. Bottles are still around, kegs still exist in Iowa bars, enjoy it while you can, Iowans. Bless you, all.

No comments: