Saturday, January 14, 2012

Harriet East-Side Belgian-style IPA



Harriet East -Side. What the Heck is that? It's this…"East Side honors the hoppy Belgian Goldens that inspired the pseudo-style, Belgian IPA. East Side was brewed with the same quantity and fraction of Pilsner, Munich, and crystal malts as West Side; except we used the lightest crystal available. Thus, the appearance of East Side is pale. Also, we targeted the same IBU's as West Side, but we did so with all European hops. Finally, East Side is fermented by the same yeast as West Side.
We anticipate a very floral, light fruity and earthy character with spicy undertones and a clean yet sturdy malt backbone, but you'll have to come and find out for yourself! Only one batch of this delicate offering was brewed; so, don't miss out!"
I didn't make it to the Groveland Tap for the premiere, and I admit I'm a little jealous that they got it first, but what can you do. On the other hand, Jason stopped by with a growler, and I enjoyed most of that last night. Didn't feel up to writing, so I saved some for now, when I'm going to do it. Starting now…Clear, straw gold color, big, white head, cloudy, lovely.
Unique aromatics, funky, wild, slightly sour, spicy, and somewhat citric. This is exactly like a Czech pilsner nose meshed with Belgian yeast. And it really resembles what the first Belgian IPAs really were, Urthel Hop-It, Gouden Carolus Hopsinjoor, and the like. Nothing American here, at all.
…and very little IPA-like, at least in terms of what we think of for American IPAs,…let's drink,now.
On the palate, smooth, easy, clean, very light bodied, with hop bitterness king. Lays long on the palate, never quitting, feeling all the world like a classic IPA, but without the characteristics of the West Coast style that we are accustomed to, the citrus, the pine. Starts turning a little creamy, a little sweet, then pummeled by hops. A burst of bitter orange is in here, too, matched with pepper and some aspirin-like astringent.
I like this.
Medium- bodied, but easy-drinking, consummate consumability.

My notes cut off there, for it was time to hit the mattress, and call it a morning. I just can't drink as much as I used to, when I get home from work around 4 a.m. But it drank down just fine, with many pleasures attending the tasting, while I was able to drink. If I find more to say about this tasty, Belgian-style brew, I'll be sure to check back in.

No comments: