Monday, February 25, 2013

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout


Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. Malt Beverage with natural flavors added. Samuel Smith's Brewery (Tadcaster), North Yorkshire, England. 550 ml. Product of England. 5% Alc. by Vol.

Samuel Smith's and I go way back. Before I was into American craft beer, before I knew there was such a thing, my first  beer love was English. It didn't take long for me to try their products once I knew of them, and they remain among my favorites, although I rarely drink them any more. Part of that is due to the obsession with trying everything under the sun I've never had before. Another reason is that they haven't released a new product in a while. Yorkshire Stingo was perhaps the last new one I tired, but it was before I started adding reviews to this blog. Note to self: look for Stingo. In fact, stock up on all the SS products, why don't I.

Aroma: I'm mentioning this first, but it fills the air, as soon as the bottle is opened and floods the sense. Full and beautiful. More of a baker's cocoa than anything else. Still haven't lifted the glass to the nose, so here it goes. Deep, rich, milky, creamy, semi-sweet, and not a little bit bitter. Everything you want from chocolate, here in this stout.

Appearance: solid black with ruby-brown highlights at foot and side. Creamy brown head on top.

Taste: Bam! Chocolate milk, sweet, rich, indulgent. Small bitterness, lush malt, cocoa flavor swims through the mouth, creamy and delightful. You can't help but throw it back and want some more. Medium mouthfeel, moderate bitterness, full flavor, incessant cocoa taste.

The organic label, this time, does not yield a disappointing product, as is so often sadly the case. This beer is 100% yum. Who cares how organic it is, it's nothing but delicious. Highly recommended.

No comments: