Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wasatch Ghostrider White I.P.A.


Wasatch Ghost Rider White I.P.A., 6% ABV, Wasatch Brewing Company, Salt Lake City, Utah.

Pours out a cloudy, light golden color, with a large, booming white head, leaving lace. Perfect picture of a witbier.

Aroma: Coriander and citrus, again, the very hallmark of a witbier nose. Lemon and orange, with a side of spice.

Taste: unfiltered, yet smooth, wheat-y witbier texture, then come the hops, just a bit of bitterness, then it grabs the palate. If you're expecting a water-y, meek, servile wit, it's not here. Hops are here to keep things groovy.

I'm still not completely keen on this style, I don't know if there's a definition for it yet. Is it an IPA with wheat, orange peel and spices? Is it a witbier with extra hops tossed in? This definitely feels like the latter to me, but what do they say?

"Legend has it the Ghostrider roams the high desert seeking revenge on those who stole his recipe for the perect IPA…we might be in trouble."

That tells me nothing!

Medium bodied, with plenty of soft, supple yeast character playing with the wheat. Hops don't feel quite so prominent after all. I'm especially baffled that they use the phrase "perfect IPA" recipe on the label, …is a perfect IPA a wit with extra hops added? Don't think so. It's a good beer, I can throw it back, and drink it down, but it's mislabeled and oddly categorized.

No comments: