Monday, February 25, 2013

Fish Tale Wild Salmon Organic Pale Ale

Years and years ago, I did a ton of trading with beer people around the country to try brews not available here. This was when the local pickin's were very slim, both in locally brewed beers, and was was distributed to us. Nowadays, many of those are available to us easily, although the beer scene has changed so much that there continue to be so many more breweries that have opened, and so large a pool to draw from, we can never get to them all, can we?
So, here I am, drinking a fresh sample of a Washington brewery that is freshly available again, and looking back at my first review from a trade bottle received and reviewed back in July, 2003:


My experience with another Fish Tale Organic was rather pleasant, and I had high hopes for this one as well....
American Pale Ale, 5.5% ABV,

Clear, light amber hue, with a an ample, white head, that drifts swiftly down to size.
Aroma is on the quiet side, to be polite. Alert, awake, fresh, even zesty, but possessing no particular flavorful sensations, nothing I like to detect in an ale, no matter how pale. As time goes on, the nose grows particularly more bitter, and there's an increasing fruitiness flowering, but only a bit.

Once over the lips and on the tongue, disappointment prevails. Very simple, with a some hop presence, but remarkably mild at that, and very scant malt, if any. That hoppiness rides meekly through the finish and it's appreciated well enough, but it's a far cry from what I want.
Light body, slight texture, feeling more like a faint, inoffensive ESB than a fruity, hoppy pale ale. I'm not going to quibble over stylistic designations any longer, just end on the note that it moved me not.






No comments: