Sunday, June 1, 2014

Blacklist Brewing Wit Noir


Blacklist Wit Noir Belgian Style Dark Wheat Ale, 9% alc. by vol. Brewed and Bottled by Dubrue Brewing LLC., Duluth, MN, for Blacklist Beer LLC, Duluth, MN.

Solid black appearance, richly roasted light brown head, slimmed, but lasting.

Aroma: creamy and sweet and first, with flavors rapidly unfolding. Raisins, figs, cherries, grape. Malt-driven, with some wicked yeast-y twists, and not much from hops. Soft and sumptuous.

Taste: Glides onto the palate, slips in and slinks away. I'm not getting any of the flavors associated with a "Witbier", so I'm getting the feeling that this is more of a Belgian strong dark with wheat used, rather than a wit with dark malt. Or are the citrus and space flavors there, but smothered by the dominant darkness? I'm getting some spicy notes now, mixed with chocolate tones, and it works very well.

I'm very curious about the process with this, and I'll have to look it up tomorrow. There's something written on the label, but it's tiny type, and white on black…unreadable! Oh, wait, I can read this from the front: Ale Brewed with Orange Peel and Spices. So, I have an answer, it's a witbier, with dark malts versus lighter ones, and beefed up to 9%. And you know what, now it's coming through, I'm starting to taste the orange…hmmm, …yeah….This is the sort of thing I would be against, but you know what? I just ain't.

Okay, I'm taking back whatever reservations I may have had. This is nice. My first Blacklist beer. Definitely not my last.

No comments: