Friday, June 13, 2014

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Looking back at old notes again, this one apparently is a re-review, too. I had a 750 ml bottle of this when it was first released, and re-visited it when I got a smaller bottle a few years later. Here are notes from May of 2004, for Dogfish Head's continually hopped 9% ABV Imperial IPA. For this one, I show my warts and my youth (yeah, I was all of 35, so very young...) by not editing out the exclamation marks:



Here's how it looks in 2021. 

My second review, this time from a 12 oz. bottle, the previous from a 750ml, ah, but I was so much older, then, I'm younger than that now...

Gorgeous peachy color, big, fresh, full head of bone-white foam.

Aroma: BAM! Whoppity-snappityBAM!BOOM!BAM!, that's the full force of the pine up in there, the intense grapefruit, all the citric flavor that embarks on the senses and nevers flags for a second, grassy, herbal, potent, totally hoppy, sprucey, piney, pineappley, so much going on in this nose!

But, to taste...Ah! A wonderful mess here, a big, mix of hops and citric fruity flavor, the punchy pine on the palate, yum, yum, yum. If you're not sufficiently infatuated with humulous lupus, sit this one out, by all means. A big, sticky, fruity, citric mouthfeel, and, yeah, there's grapefruit, but so much more.
Like licking a forest floor, at times, this one, if I may be so bold. Yeah, but if it's hops you want, lean back and enjoy this onslaught, it's astonishingly tasty!
Love it, love it, love it!

No comments: