Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Dogfish Head Aprihop

Another trip to Dave's BrewFarm means another visit to Hudson, WI for beers I can't get here in Minnesota, which means Dogfish Head. I forgot that I'd already entered Namaste here, and bought a $11 6-pack I "didn't need", oh, well, boo-hoo, worse things have happened in the world. But, hey, I also picked up some Aprihop, a 7% American IPA with apricot juice added,  for the first time in forever. It seems that I first found a bottle via a trade with an Illinoisian, back 11 years ago. Let's look at those notes, then, shall we? From April, 2004:

Color's a clear, amber tint, and the head is a blessed thing, rich, thick, lush, creamy.

Aroma,:deep, heady, hoppy, there's the pine-sap and the pineapple, the soft apricots.

Taste: ah, happily boards the palate, spilling some hops, but with nearly no bitterness to speak of,
very bright and fruity, with a great dose of malt to stand behind and hold it all up, toasty and crisp. There's a warmth here, too, and a caramely essence in the taste. Gonna be honest with you all, I like this one, it's a bit mild from the makers of over-the-top IPAs, but the apricot flavor matches really well with this English-style IPA that stands as the base, and makes for one tasty, easily drunk brew. Alcohol creeps in a bit, and only adds to the pleasure. Very nice!

So that's what I said eleven years ago. I'll stick with it.

No comments: