Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Sisyphus Et Tu Brut IPA

Sisyphus Brut IPA. 7.2% ABV.  65 IBU. Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Another new IPA style? Again? Already? What? Several local breweries have made their version, and this is Sisyphus'. I was confused after I brought it home, because I misread the label and though I had the Brett IPA. Opened it up, started drinking, and with half the crowler in the my glass realized that this tastes nothing like Brett IPA. There's enough left to do a review, so here we go:

Clouded, bright golden hue, sizable, stable head of ivory foam.

In the nose: Citrus and tropical tones. Muted, less emboldened. Mellow. Very cool.

In the mouth: Bold, fresh, fruity flavors, but subdued, not harsh or bold in the least. Some bitterness, but kept on a leash. Ending on a very dry, even brittle side of things. Balances between fruit sweetness and very dry finish. An interesting experiment. Not sure how much I care for it. Definitely better than the previous crop of IPA extensions (milkshake, NE-style, etc.).


I don't mind this. But, I still like more bitterness in my IPA. Because that's what they're for. But if you like an IPA that's more like champagne, be my guest.

Man. I have to digress a little more. I went Google-searching for more information on this new style, and saw these headlines: "the champagne-like beer hopheads can't get enough of..." "As soon as I drank one of these bone dry, pale, and super aromatic Brut IPAs I felt like it was something that could become big trend..." "Brut Bellini IPA from Dangerous Man Brewing: So far, this has been the year of the hazy, or New England, IPA, but I predict the tide is soon ..." " Bubbly, Bone-Dry Brut IPAs Are Suddenly All Anyone Can Talk About."

Really? We were just all about everything juicy, that's all anyone could talk about, and now we're swinging wide the other way? Trends. I hate 'em. I mean, I can talk about more than one thing, okay?

A new style coming from the West Coast. This IPA should appeal to your champagne tastes. Dryer and with more wine quality than a tradional IPA, hopped with Nelaon Sauvin hops.

No comments: