Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Veltins Pilsener

Veltins Pilsener. Product of Germany. Pilsener Beer. Seit 1824. 4.8% ABV. Brauerei C. & A. Veltins GmbH & Co., Meschede-Grevenstien, Germany.
This was a badly staged photo. You can't see the handle on
the clever plastic insta-stein that's gripping the can,
though you can see the lid. 

Clear, yellow, brief ivory head.

In the nose: light malt, grainy, slight hops.

In the mouth: Nice splash of hop bitterness, turning dry instantly. Brief hop attack on the palate, then all is smooth. Light bodied, refreshing, highly drinkable. Classic German-style pils, and there ain't nothing wrong with it.

Don't know what else to say. Except that I was sure that I'd had this before. So, I dug deep into the archives, and by that I mean that I checked it out on BeerAdvocate.com, and found this. From January 2003, and a sample bottle or can provided by the distributor at the time:

"Label proclaims this as a "German Pilsner Beer", but it's a pilsner like Miller Lite's a "true pilsner beer". Clear dull yellow color, moderate white head. Aroma: dry, vegetal, flat, hints of corn, flinty, and overall off-putting to this nose. Absolutely no body, texture, nil, nothing, nada. Not a single bit of taste to be accounted for. It passes through you, without a trace of it having been on your tongue at all."

Clearly, I no longer find those negative attributes in this one. It's seems that I went into it wanting to go after it. Either I got a bad or old or skunked sample, lo those years ago, or my appreciation for the style has changed. Maybe a bit of both. I think I just liked picking on lagers back then.

Type bottom fermented, Pilsener style
Colour bright shiny gold
Smell fresh hay and fresh herbs with citrous flavour and a nutty character
Taste slightly dry with a harmonic finish
Foam finely-pored and steady
Bitterness perfectly bodied
Original gravity 11°P
Alcohol content 4,8 vol. %
Calorific value
41 kcal/100 ml or 174 kj/100 ml

I love to share the verbiage from European breweries, because their word choices are just a little different from what we'd say on this side of the Atlantic. And I scratch my head at some of their descriptions. "Nutty character" in the nose, I mean, smell? No. How can bitterness be described as "perfectly bodied"? Huh. Oh, well.

It's a good German pils and you can drink it. Go right ahead.

No comments: