Saturday, July 21, 2018

Toppling Goliath Hopsmack! India Pale Ale

Toppling Goliath Hopsmack! India Pale Ale. 7.7% ABV, 100 IBU. Toppling Goliath Brewery, Decorah, IA.

Thoroughly clouded, highly hazed, dull golden/orange-ish hue, beneath a thick, lasting slab of ivory head.

In the nose: citrus and tropical tones. Mucky, murky, but fruity all the same. Mild bitterness. High hoppiness.

In the mouth: More big citrus, more tropical tones, big ol' bitterness on the tongue. Awfully hazy, yeasty...

And now, confession time. My notes trailed off there, at the ellipses, and I slowly enjoyed it on into the early morning. The bomber was finished, but I made no more notes than what you see above. Did I miss anything? Sure, but I got at the essence, and eventually decided against doing some sort of mental time traveling to when I was tasting the stuff to pull out more descriptors, and will let what I wrote stand.

I will add, though, that I would recommend it, but not to myself. Goes a bit too far in the yeast/haze department. I could have enjoyed it more if it was a bit cleaner.

Hopsmack is here to rescue your palate. Giant aromas of pineapple and tropical fruit jump from this enticingly complex double ipa. True to its name, this brew delivers a heavy smack of dry hops and a double dose of bitterness in the finish. 

No comments: