Sunday, February 19, 2023

Back Channel Slappy Beer Girl New England IPA

 


Back Channel Slappy Beer Girl New England IPA. 

7% ABV, Back Channel Brewing, Spring Lake Park, Minnesota. 

I am going to break my vow and examine an NE IPA here in the Nib, if only to enter into the record this beer named for my friend Michelle Davila, who passed away from cancer last year. This is it’s debut in cans, having been released on tap about a year ago, shortly after her passing.

Back Channel was a favorite hang for Michelle and her husband Rod. The meaning of the name is derived from an old email account. None of us knows to this day why this beer girl would describe herself as “Slappy”, and I know of no instances of slapping. Never slapped me, as far as I can remember. Teased me, now and then. All in good fun. 

She liked pink flamingos.

And the beer…heavily clouded. Dull orange. Slim milky white head. 

In the nose: soft and citrusy, orange and papaya, grapefruit and mango.

In the mouth: smooth, slightly sweet, light bitterness. Bright fruit sensations on the palate, wrapped up in fuzz. Tropical notes chime higher than citric on the tongue. It’s a juicy, fruity blend. Slides down the throat with effortless ease. 

I still haven’t been to Back Channel, though I would like to, for I need to drink from a bowl once in my life or I haven’t lived. 

For now, I finish this tribute to Michelle in wildly inappropriate glassware and think fondly of that sweet woman. You were loved and you will be missed. 

No comments: