Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Oliphant Lizardize Mariguanas Pale Ale

 Oliphant Lizardize Mariguanas Pale Ale.


5% ABV, Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, Wisconsin. 

When I first started using the app Untappd 12 years ago, my use was very casual. I didn’t always check in and rarely checked in twice to the same beer. A few years ago, I decided to change that and began to check and take a pic of nearly every single beer I had. This might explain why Oliphant Lizardize  Mariguanas IPA is my 4th most checked-in beer, 93 times from July 2017 to this past January. I was rather fond of it. Bought it whenever I saw it and frequently tapped it at Acadia. 

And it will stay at that number. The beer has been “reimagined “ as a pale ale, while keeping the name. I’ve had the first 3 cans already, it’s finally time for the notes. 

Lightly hazed, pale golden humus, lace-leaving cloud-white head. 

In the nose: floral and citrusy. Orange and lemon zest, grapefruit, a patch of pine. 

In the mouth: bitterness bites up front, but briefly. More than anything, it’s citrusy and smooth. Lighter bodied, clean malt mouthfeel, just about crispy. Flavors remain strong throughout. Hoppy, bitter taste doesn’t quit and is never too much. I liked it just fine.

Pale Ales are all well and good, but I like my IPAs. I understand why they want an APA and why they want to keep the name, but what’s my favorite Wisconsin IPA now, Oliphant? Will you please bring back Samurai Karate Guy, and please don’t reimagine it as a hazy.

A twist on a classic. This lighter, but equally refreshing and hopped ipa features, Citra, Wakatu, Amarillo, and Warrior hops!


No comments: