Saturday, March 25, 2023

Summit Saga Hazy IPA

 Summit Saga Hazy IPA.


? ABV, ? IBU. Summit Brewing, St. Paul, Minnesota. 

So, the other day I bought a Summit IPA variety pack and enjoyed a Saga IPA at home. Checked in on Untapped. Ed warned me about the hazy version and I said, “that’s got to be taproom only, they’ll never package it.” The next day I went to work and checked in five cases of this stuff. Shows what an idiot I am. Luckily, I somehow snagged a sample.

Lightly clouded, bright golden hue, milky white head, leaving some lace. 

In the nose: citrus zest, a pinch of pine, a twist of tropical. Maybe. Or am I imagining this? We still wonder if this is merely Saga Unfiltered. 

In the mouth: brief bitterness, despite big hop bite. Soft and smooth, with plenty of hop flavors. Grapefruit pith and orange rind aplenty. Not too protein rich, not overtly chock full of gauze, not threatening to choke the throat. Not getting into BlackStack’s  grill. 

You want a hazy? Here’s your hazy! I’ll wait and see how this works out. I don’t really think Summit drinkers want this. Did they ask for it? 

It’s still not what hazy fans want. Long hoppy flavors and appropriate bitterness, There’s a reason why I don’t hate this. They can’t hold back. I’ll always admire Summit. Their English IPA, way back in 1992, was the first beer I ever fell in love with. It was a different time. 

I will now taste this next to a Saga, un-hazy….  and, I still like it better. 

Fierce with flavor, worthy of the gods. Mythical hop haze with an epic soft finish. 

The above is taken from the box. No other information can be found. 

No comments: