Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Hammerheart Hokan’s Brown Ale

 Hammerheart Hokan’s Brown Ale.

6.5% ABV, Hammerheart Brewing, Ely, MN. 


This is can four from the second beer released from the Ely facility. But I had this first at the taproom in 2016, with my dear sweet mother, who said she’d never had a dark beer in all her 83 years (she turns 92 this year). Look up my post about that visit to see a pic of us both.



Dark brown color, opaque, slim brown ring. 

In the nose: roasted malt, slightly smoky, caramel undertones. Traces of chocolate.

In the mouth: rich and full-bodied, this is no ordinary brown ale. Chocolate and caramel trickle along the tongue, smooth and delicious. Hearty. Rewarding. A brown ale that stretches the boundaries of the style. 

Now I truly understand why this one flew off the rails after we stocked it back in July. After finishing my fourth, I long for a fifth. We’ll just have to wait until the next time they brew it, and meanwhile enjoy the next offerings…which might be even better!

No comments: