Thursday, October 4, 2012

Budweiser

Continuing with thoughts on the St. Louis giant, the Belgian-owned Anheuser-Busch brewery, I notice how few of their beers I've had, how little of their number I've taken notes on. I blame all my sales reps from the Bud distributors for not bringing me samples of Bud Light Lime and Lime Chelada and American Ale and Select and Select 55 and Michelob Ultra Tuscan Orange Grapefruit and Shock Top, and ...you know, what? Thank you, current and former Budweiser sales people for NOT bringing these beers to me. But, if they would have, you'd hear about it, that I guarantee you.

Here are notes from December, 2005, the day I decided to write about a bottle of Budweiser. You're welcome:


Born on October 19, 2005, Happy 2 month anniversary, bottle of Budweiser!

Paley-pale, palest of the pale yellow, and crystal clear, head starts thick, then slides down to a negligible ring, always bone white, until it's a shallow pool of bubbles.

Aroma: bright, sweet, then empty. Far-off echo of hops, but mostly vegetal, with a switch of straw. Corn and rice, you bet.

Taste: Wetness crowds the scene first in here, lots of water in this. Thin bodied, ...and I'm searching and scratching for any real kind of flavor. Water and corn, plus fizz...?

Harsh carbonation, very active on the palate, extraordinarily fizzy all over the tongue, and that's not a good thing. To me, anyway. I'm wincing as I drink, and I have witnessed plenty of people toss it back without trouble. Relax, relax...

Dull, dry finish. Nothing resonates in the memory, or the mind, but neither was anything supposed to...knock 'em back, set up all over again...why worry about taste?

There's nothing really wrong with The King of Beers, but neither is there anything good about it.

Crisp, yes. Refreshing...maybe. The carbonation bugs me too much, I'll take water instead. Smooth? Maybe, but at what cost? I could use a little flavor...hello, malt? Hops? Drinkability? Mmmm...not for this cat, I could drink it, but I'd be so bored, my soul would shudder and thoughts of self-ruination would rumble in my brain.

Good thing there are plenty of other choices.
But, if you dig it, hey, knock yourself out. Don't let me get in your way.

No comments: