Wednesday, October 17, 2012

New Glarus Spotted Cow cream ale


This one was picked up as a single during my last Wisconsin visit (a trip to Dave's BrewFarm, where there were no new-to-me growlers to bring home.) I didn't want to get a 6-pack, because I know it's not a favorite of mine, though it is for many, many others. Here are notes from October, 2003, for New Glarus' cream ale, Spotted Cow:

Someone once urged me to try one, and declared it "the best". So now I have, but that claim speaks more about them then it does about this.

Appearance: a clear pale yella hue, with a slight, soon vanishing white head.

Nose is mee, softly citric, a tiny bit sour.

Smooth on the palate, though not entirely without flavor. Practically no hops no speak of, just adequate enough malt, vestigal fruit notes whisper briefly.

Finish is brief, non-descript. Body is light to the point of invisibility. A very fragile, meek little beer.
Would be a decent choice for a "lawnmower" brew, maybe, when complexity and challenge are not in the order.
Not a bad beer, but not much, either.

No comments: