Friday, June 14, 2013

Half Acre Daisy Cutter Pale Ale


Every now and then, I look at what states have I had beers from (as represented on this blog), how many beers, how many breweries. Etcetera. My home state is tops, of course, and the other top spots are occupied by the usual suspects, the top brewing states, your Californias, Colorados, Wisconsinses. And when I look at Illinois, I'm embarrassed to see a mere eight, 3 from Goose Island, 3 from Two Brothers, and 2 from Wild Onion.
The first two breweries are, I am fairly certain, the only two Illinois breweries distributed in Minnesota, but those are still low numbers, especially for the first one. Wild Onion cans were purchased in Wisconsin. But as anyone who pays attention to the beer scene knows, Chicago is not slacking with new beers and breweries. Two ways to remedy this egregious oversight: trade or travel. I've cut back on trading, lately, and was itching to visit, especially since I haven't been to Chicago in 20 years, and that visit, well, the less said, the best. And, it pre-dated my passion for beer. Also, my usual updates with the ongoing world of beer makes it painfully clear that I have to check it out in person.
So, one day, months ago,  Cal and I decided that a summertime, weekday beer vacation to Chicago is definitely in order. Full details of the trip are coming soon. For now, I present my first review from the beers I brought back, and this is one I've had before, in the months before I turned this blog into my one-stop shop for reviews. That made it easy to sit back last night after work, open the can, pour it into my newly purchased SquidOwl Half Acre Willi Becher glass, and enjoy. Here come notes from October, 2010. A can sent to me by ...I wish I could remember who, sorry.

Daisy Cutter Pale Ale, Half Acre, Chicago, IL. 6.5% ABV.

Wonderful haze in the glass, shot out of the can, lovely golden coloration, bountiful head on it, big, rocky, marshmallowy, lace-leaving snowy white cloud of delightfulness.

Smelling it: Dang! hops explosion! Rip roaring full-on fresh, perfumey, citrus-y, a little pine, little honey, soft, but powerful.

Tasting it: fresh and zesty, pleasingly bitter, lean bodied, nice, bready malt. Excellent balance, great match of ingredients, utterly refreshing. Long, satisfying finish. Very similar to Two Hearted, from Bell's, in hop character and flavor.

Hop lovers dream in this can. The hop-head's lawnmower beer, truly, a great sessioner. It's a mark of American innovation, I think, that a beer so hop forward, so beautifully bitter can be seen as a session ale. In the craft beer revolution, we won't accept mediocrity in the session ale. here's to daisy cutting!
..................

Note: The can was part of a 4-pack bought at Binny's in Schaumberg, Illinois. This will be one of only two Half Acre beers to show up from this trip. The other was purchased at the taproom. Other beers available at Binny's, however, were not in my favorite styles, so they got a lower priority over other beers that I was staring at in amazement.

No comments: