Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New Holland Michigan Hatter IPA


Michigan Hatter Ale , Michigan I.P.A., New Holland Brewing company, Holland, Michigan.  Just picked this up at Chicago Lake Liquors, pulled it from the cooler, and once home, I'm drinking it up. Maybe it was the cute hatted redhead on the label that prompted my purchase?

Very hazy amber hue, big white head slims down soon.

Aroma: A garden of hoppy delights…grapefruit, lime, orange, tangerine…plus prickly pine. Great balance of bitter and sweet in this nose.

Taste: Fresh hop flavor up front, some small amount of caramel malt behind it. Bitterness is moderate, alcohol, too, I assume. Consumability is up there, also, and it's a pure pleasure to drink.

I'll take a break to read the label: "Michigan Hatter celebrates our local agriculture with it's Michigan-grown Cascade hops from the Leelanau Peninsula. Bright and aromatic, with delicious malt notes underneath a citrus-y showcase of hops. Pairings: sharp cheddars, herb-roasted poultry and curry."

I'm drinking this in the company of chicken pad thai. It works there, too.

Oddly, I don't see the ABV listed on the paper label, at all. They have a whatchmajiggly code, the squiggly-wiggly thing to take you to their website, but they can't print it on the label.

No comments: