Friday, September 19, 2014

Brasserie Dupont Monk's Stout


Monk's Stout Dupont. I saw this at Elevated the other day and thought to myself, damn, why haven't I tried this beer? I've had almost everything from this brewery, I like to sample every Belgian beer that exists…why? Why not now? So, I bought it, then I brought it home and I chilled it. Now, I'm going to drink it.

Brasserie Dupont, Tourpes, Belgium. Some stuff in French that I don't understand. 5.25% alc. by vol. time to release the cage and the cork and let the dark stuff flow out of the green bottle.

Appearance: dark brown, very nearly black, in color, with a majestic head of soft, lithe brown/tan foam, leaving lace, staying strong. Beautiful.

Aroma: Cola. Cocoa. Coffee.Raisins and plums. Spice. Sweetness. So, unique and ingenious. Every note delivers the essence of the Belgian stout.

Taste: Jumps on the palate with spice and dark malt, plus the terrific treats that Belgian yeast brings on. Spice leads to minor heat. Body is medium at best, malts are nice and roastyl. Not as full bodied as the English or American stouts, but tasty as heck. Pepper and chocolate, and coffee, with an echo of the barnyard funk. Sweetness turns to dry off the palate.

Gonna read the label. "From the recipe archives of Brasserie Bupont comes this remarkably refreshing, bracingly dry Belgian stout. Originally brewed in the late 1950's by Sylvia Rosier, today's Monk's Stout captures the intense Dupont style in a dark beer--deep aromas of black coffee, roasted bitterness and sharp, clean finish."

No comments: