Monday, September 1, 2014

New Belgium/Odell FOCOllaboration American Pale Ale


New Belgium/Odell FOCOllaboration. Hop Kitchen #6. American Pale Ale, Alc. 6.7% ABV.

For a minute I found myself scratching my head wondering what "FOCOllaboration" means. And then after that minute it dawned on me that perhaps this is the first time that these neighboring breweries from Fort Collins have collaborated. And then I thought, …duh. I don't know what the gophers have to do with anything. It doesn't matter, only the beer matters.

Appearance: Clear, bright amber coloring, under a lacy white head.

Aroma: bold, brash, loud and proud citrus-y and piney nose. Lime and pine. Lemon and flowers. Beautiful.

Taste: hop bite grabs the palate first, nice little bittersweet smack. The tingle of hops continues on down the throat. Light bodied, mild malt, nothing but smooth and delicious. I love a pale ale. They're good for drinking, I can tell you that. And I enjoy drinking this one.

Now, it's time to read the label and try to not get frustrated by the nonsensical turns of phrase. "we teamed up with our hometown hop heroes at Odell to brew a FOrt COllins collaboration. Our proximity allowed sharing of ingredients to create this unique pale ale. If only we could employ the prairie dogs that inhabit the space between us to courier the Fawcett malt, an Odell standard, we used to complement our favored Centennial, Cascade and Citra hops. Best enjoyed with a neighbor!"

It is a good combination. Maybe even the best. Think about it, those are the three best hops in the universe. Everyone loves them, alone or together. And they are together, in this. Mmmm, mmm. If someone stopped me on the street and demanded to know what my favorite new beer is, this is my answer. for today, anyway.

No comments: