Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Sierra Nevada Porter (with a bit of a ramble about how I manage my obsession sometimes)

I do this blog for two reasons: for me, and for you. Writing about the beers I drink became a past-time when I started it twelve years ago, and instantly turned into an obsession. I still try to chase down the best new beers that I can, but I know I can't get to them all, because there are so many, and they've become so expensive. But, I can't help trying. I do this for you, because I hope you get something out of reading it, and I'd be disconsolate if it turned out that no one cared.

Now, I know people do read this, I hear it from time to time. Some read my reviews here, and some still search them out on beeradvocate.com (and some wonder if I'm still on ratebeer.com). There are those who tell me they look up my reviews there by sorting by top reviewer, then scrolling down until they find mine, if it's there. Well, as it happens, I'm slipping further and further down, because I just can't keep up that pace, try as I might. Once, very briefly,  I was the top reviewer, and for many years I was firmly in the top ten. Searching for these old notes, I found myself at #37. Oh, well. Quality or quantity, which should I be concerned with? The former, of course, and I'm going to keep a natural pace that works in accordance with my time, budget, health, and other important matters.

So, why post old reviews of common beers, like this one? Because I'm still a completist. I want to have all the beers I've ever written about on this site, although I stick to the rule of only posting old notes if I'm drinking the beer now. I visited a local store searching for sampler packs that were affordable and that would help me gain some new-to-me brews, and was not satisfied with the selection. On the other hand, they have a fairly affordable single bottle program. Some stores will ask $2 each for samples, and this one does a 6-pack for $9.99, which turns into $1.66 each. Not awesome, but not bad. That gets me 6 new beers to enter into this blog, and one which I've written about before, this one.

Now, this would have been a good one to get in a 6-pack, for I know I like it, it's very affordable, and I need it for here. Sometimes you need a good ol' drinking beer. One you can just drink, and not worry about. Right now, I need those to be as affordable as can be. That's where the tail is wagging the dog, so to speak. I'm not going to pick up a cheap case of Summit Saga, say, because I don't need it for here. I've got no one to blame but myself for creating these problems...

So, I thought I was being wise by choosing that variety 6-pack, but it left me with no real "drinking beers." This one and another were brews I didn't need to write new notes on, but the greater problem was looking around at everything else. It's so hard to avoid temptation, to defeat desire, especially when it's something I know I will love by a favorite brewery. Long story short, I picked up some bombers, too, one of which was more expensive than I thought. But, I know I've got a great beer in store. Just need to try harder to find a better job to afford more, better beer. What was that I said about tail wagging?

Here are my notes from July 2003 on Sierra Nevada's Porter:


Appearance: deep. dark color, with a tall, frothy, cream-colored head, slowly trickling down, and leaving lace.

Aroma: sharply punctuated with nuts and fruit right off, with further investigations giving off coffeeish, slightly roasty connotations. Bitter, but soft.

Taste is smooth, even velvety, but replete with espresso, cocoa, and the like. Just enough, but not nearly too much. Problem for me is, I like too much.
Medium-bodied, a bit lacking in texture, nice little sweet, toasty finish, and very easy to drink.

SN has crafted an extraordinarily easy-to-drink porter, and if I ever found myself in a situation where this was the best option for a dark ale, I'd be satisfied.
Fruit factor comes in more in the middle, toward the end. A solid porter. No frills, but no bones about it, they made a nice one.

No comments: