Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Boon Geuze Mariage Parfait


Hey, I haven't had a geuze in a while, have I? I do enjoy them, from time to time. And why not go back to one of the classics. It's been years and years since I've had this, so long ago that I can't find notes anywhere. And I know I've had it. So, here we go, notes ahoy!

Frank Boon (pronounced: Bone) Geuze (Pronounced: Grrr-za. I think.) Mariage Parfait  ("perfect marriage")2010. Oude Geuze. Gueuze a l'Ancienne. Old Style Gueuze. Lambic ale aged in oak casks. Boon Brewery, Lambeek, Belgium. 8% alc., vol. Bottle conditioned. Best before end 2033. Batch #: see cork.

Appearance: highly hazed, straw yellow coloring, slim white head.

Aroma: That's the stuff right there. Earth. Lemons. Must. Funk. Vinegar. Feet. Freshly soiled kitty litter box. All those good things and more. Cow comforter. (Yeah, I'm tired of "horse blanket", too.)

Taste: Intense sour and puckering at first sip. Grips the palate with a scouring dryness that rounds out the palate. This  funky flavor turned out by crazy Belgian yeasts, cranked up to wilder levels by time in the casks. Don't stop 'til it's really weird. Turns fairly mellow, but never stops being strange. Lightish, medium-y body, long, funky finish. Wild, man, wild.

At times, I look at the notes and wonder if I missed anything. Did I cover it all, was there a stone unturned? Complex as it is, that stuff above does it all.

"Traditional Belgian Oude Gueuze. 100% spontaneously fermented lambic aged for a minimum of three years in oak barrels. Refermented in the bottle. Tart, dry, exceedingly complex aroma."

No comments: