Saturday, February 7, 2015

New Belgium Lips of Faith Yuzu Imperial Berliner Weisse


New Belgium Lips of Faith Series Yuzu, Imperial Berliner Weisse Style Ale Brewed With yuzu Juice. 8% alc. by vol.

(Yup, they "Imperialized" a Berliner Weisse. Sure, whatever, go ahead. Sigh.)

Appearance: hazed, bright yellow, slim white head.

Aroma: Fresh, citrus-y, fruity esters, then comes the whiff of sour, and the scent of wheat.

Taste: Spritz. Funk. Fruit. Wheat. I have to admit that I'm not especially familiar with the yuzu fruit, and can't tell what unique difference it brings. It's a bright, citrus-y fruit, if taste tells. Nicely sour, and easily drunk. Higher alcohol doesn't register at first, but starts slowly creeping in. And the sour keeps coming. This is delightful.

What's our label have to say? Oy vey, I'm remembering how much I hate these. Well, here we go: "Who zu yuzu? It's a friendly fruit with grapefruit-meets-orange flavor that got involved with the souring side of New Belgium in this bottle conditioned wheat beer. They got on well enough to make this Imperial Berliner Weisse Style Ale, a smooth, delightfully tart sipper with a dry finish."

"Packaged June 2013, Delicious Now, and differently delicious later."

Well that answers some questions. I remember when this came out locally, and I considered picking up kegs for the Blue Nile and never got around to it. It disappeared from shelves and never got around to picking up a bottle. Thought it would be lost to me, until I saw them at Casanova's. Did they just have too many on hand and it lasted this long? Never mind, it holds up, and I got to try it. It's good beer, and I could drink it.

No comments: