Monday, May 13, 2019

Dave's BrewFarm Orange-U-Glad-I Didn't

Dave's BrewFarm Orange-U-Glad-I Didn't.
4.5 % ABV.
Dave's BrewFarm, Wilson, WI.

It's been a few months, but I finally made it back to Dave's. And I had 2 empty growlers, but I can't see something 2 feet in front of where I sit, so I only brought one with me to the LaBrewatory, and one beer back home with me. It was this one, which according to Untappd was first entered into their database in late 2016. I've probably had it before, because the name seems familiar, but it's my first time bringing it back for some note-taking.

And lo and behold, it's in the Untappd database, and a grand total of 2 people have checked into it. For some reason, it's listed as a Belgian Strong Golden Ale, although it is nothing of the sort. Or did the beer change? It is listed as 6.5 % ABV (not very strong), but the one I'm enjoying is 4.5 % ABV.

Here's the thing about this: Not many of the BrewFarm fans are online beer reviewers, like me.  They're just regular ol' beer lovers, who aren't going to create a new entry for a beer on Untappd, or BeerAdvocate or Ratebeer. I know Dave isn't. The last time I was there, several of the beers I'd had were not in the database yet.I've added some to BA, probably RB, but maybe not to Untappd. If it's not in there, I may not check in to it, but it will always be here in the Nib. It's too bad. I wish that every brewery had it's scribe, and all of their beers were entered into a book that is a record of all that they have achieved. I try my best to assist in this with my favorites, but I can't do it all. Even with my very favorites, it's impossible to keep tabs with everything they do. If I were to attempt that, it would be to the detriment of all the others. And how do you pick your favorite, how do you justify neglecting the others? It's tough, man. I'm glad I don't have to have these conversations. "See, you're number 24...sorry!"

As it is, Dave's BrewFarm is definitely one of my favorite breweries. It is the 4th most reviewed brewery in the Nib, behind Town Hall, Surly, and Oliphant. 85 beers reviewed so far. Out of 215 listings on Untappd, 124 on rate beer.com, and 91 on BeerAdvocate.com. (Guess I'm off about the BrewFarm not being visited too highly by Untappd users.) Not too bad. (Especially since I only get out there a handful of times a year, at best. Since it's sixty miles away, and I have to resort to the help of friends to drive me out, and it's only open sixteen hours a month, at most.) And it makes me wonder how many BrewFarm beers there actually are. I'm sure Dave knows the answer. Maybe he'll tell us one day. He alone holds the key to the legend of the BrewFarm.

Clear, bright golden, slim white head.

In the nose: Bold and hoppy, citrusy. Lemon and orange, with a light undercurrent of spice.

In the mouth: Light, crisp, snappy. More vibrant citrus-y flavors. Slightly grainy malt character. Light bitterness. Smooth and tasty, going down easy. Refreshing. Delicious. Almost, but not quite, yum-a-dum-dum. Juicy, fruity, and ever-so nice.

Hey, I like it.

A refreshing beer brewed with Pale malt, Northern Brewer, Columbus, and Nugget hops and a late addition of sour orange puree. Fermented with an English yeast. Perhaps you're glad I did? 

No comments: