Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Orval Trappist Ale

Let's keep tripping through Trappist country. And we'll be sampling the single ale produced by the Trappist monastery of Orval in Belgium.  (Besides the patersbier brewed just for the monks, only at the monastery.)

This is a bottle I picked up from a local store the other day, knowing full well that it was missing from the Nib. I just don't see it often enough. (It seems that I checked in to it on Untapped nearly 4 years ago, and now I'm trying to remember where and how I had it. Did I buy a bottle and forget to review it? See it at a bar or restaurant, or maybe a tasting party?)

Now, something was telling me that I had taken notes on it before. I had to have, it makes no sense that I didn't. A little research unearthed those notes, published on BeerAdvocate.com in February of 2003. Sixteen years ago. Here's the notes from way back when, with further notes afterward.

Brassie d'Orval Pale Ale.
6.9 % ABV.
Viller-devant-Orval, Luxembourg, Belgium.

To the eye: Color is a pure golden, edging into orange. Head is full, and frothy white.

In the nose: Aroma is overwhelming and enticing from afar: extraordinarily spicy, very enticing and seductive, though I haven't even even brought this brew close to my nose yet.

In the mouth: An arousing blend of the sweet and the sour, with some citric notes speaking up here and there. Loads of sugar and spice, and, well, everything nice. Fierce hops on the palate, and an excellent texture, great hop bite and play upon the tongue. Full of body and flavor. Long lasting finish. Delicious, with plenty of citric tang. Deeply satisfactory, very mellow and pacifying.

This is a brew that tastes of the history it contains. A very unique, pleasurable and pacifying beverage.

In 2019, I note that I failed to mention the ineffable whiff of that Belgian funk, the yeast, the malt, the uncertain something that I love. Starts sweet, funky, fruity, and ends on a dry note. Other than that, I'll stick with my sixteen years younger-self, and keep those notes. And vow to sneak it into rotation a.little more often. Damned good beer.

NOTE: The ABV-value of this beer varies, in the United States 6.9% is used.
The Orval’s brewery produces only one beer to sell, a beer with a high fermentation that continues in the bottle. It is 6.2% ABV. This beer is brewed exclusively from spring water, barley malt, hop cones, candy sugar, and yeast. The aroma and the fine taste are due more to the hop cones and the yeast than to the malt that is used.

What’s special about Orval’s beer is that hops are added at two different stages of the production process. First, in the brewing room, a large quantity of very fine hops are added – this produces the famous bitter taste and is the reason why the beer keeps for a longer period of time. Later, in the storage cellars, hops are once again added. This is the so-called British “dry hopping,” which produces the delightful aroma that completely enraptures even the most carefully forewarned taster.

In the tasting room, Orval’s beer and cheese make a really good pair: the unique shape of the bottle and the glass, the design of the label, the coasters and other publicity materials – it’s all a legacy from the early 1930’s. Show Less


No comments: