Friday, May 24, 2019

Hammerheart Valkyrie Tears Double India Pale Ale

Hammerheart Valkyrie Tears Double India Pale Ale. (Triple, according to Untappd)
11.6 % ABV.
Hammerheart Brewing, Lino Lakes, MN.

Here's one that took me a bit aback when I saw it in the store. Have I reviewed this one yet? Sounds familiar. Solved the mystery when I looked it up on Untappd. Checked into it twice, from servings on tap at Acadia, way back three and 1/2 years ago. But I never took notes, so I put down the $12.99 (before tax) and now it's time to drink.

Hazy, deep golden color, nearly orange, with a thin, ivory ring.

In the nose: Powerfully pungent hop presence in this nose, bursting with citrus and tropical tones.

In the mouth: Juicy. Bitter. Slightly sweet. Begins big and gets bigger, turning gargantuan on the palate. Turns from cool to hot. Alcohol sticks out early. Flavors come together with such force that it earns the label of Triple IPA, coming close to a barley-wine, even.

Full-bodied. Rich, lush malt, with potent hoppiness. I'm pretty much in love with it.

This bottle was kept warm and it wasn't fresh. This may explain the "floaties" that swam in my glass as I emptied the bottle. I don't mind it, but it reminds me to pick up on these a little quicker. I'm scared off by higher prices, though, and this one was on the lower end, thus attracting me. And the whole double (triple) IPA thing. That lures me in.

Let's read the label for more information (I can't find it anywhere else):
Bottled 8-24-18. (There we go.)
Valkyrie Tears is a hazy double IPA dry-hopped with smoked Cascade hops with a biscuity, grassy malt base and notes of grapefruit, orange rind, and smokey citrus.

"Smokey citrus." Only Hammerheart. Only Hammerheart.

No comments: