Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Paulaner Original Munich Helles Lager

The circle closes, ever tighter. A new sample can from the sample man, bringing me a German beer I took notes on back on 9/19/05. I posted them on BeerAdvocate.com, and as I drink this fresh can, I share them with you:

Paulaner Munich Helles Lager. 4.9 % ABV. 20 IBU.
Paulaner Brauerei, Münchner, Deutschland.

A dazzling tornado of carbonation is an appealing part of this pour, spinning and whirling from bottom to top of the glass. The show's over soon, though, and then we consider the paleness of the yellow, and admire the long-lasting frothycloud nestled on top.

As for aroma, it's soft and pleasant, grainy, lightly honeyish, a little floral...not bad. On par or better for a typical lager.

Taste it, already!
Clean and solid, on and off the tongue. Crisp and zippy, delicate, but well-appreciated hops, minimal malt. But I don't think a lager can get more classic than this. Hops are more pronounced on the tongue the more I drink, and I like it like that.

Light bodied, tidy, hop-inflected finish. Perfectly palatable, excellently designed and executed.

I'm thumping myself to think that I've never tried this before. If ever I'm in the mood for a good, smooth, utterly untroubling lager, this would be my choice.

Fourteen years later, I still like it. Am I becoming a lager liker? Amazing!

Our Original Munich Lager is a true classic with its clear and bright gold sparkling hue, crowned by a pure white head. A beer which always goes down well: mild, elegant malts, with a hint of sweetness and a soft hint of hops in the background. This Munich beer is ideal to accompany spare ribs and spicy dishes. Just try it!

No comments: