Friday, June 7, 2019

Fair State / Modern Times Crankin' Foamers Lager

Fair State / Modern Times Crankin' Foamers Lager.
4.5 % ABV "American Slammin' Beer. " 18 IBU. "#corniscool."
Fair State Brewing Company, Minneapolis & St. Paul, MN, in collaboration with Modern Times Beer, San Diego, CA.

And now we have my fourth can of this beer, so that means I have to review it. Until I hear a compelling tale about the name, I'm going to have to count it as among the worst I've ever heard. As a "foamer" really a term for beer that's slipped past me all these years?

It's crystal clear, bright golden, with a outsized ivory head, leaving lace.

In the nose: Dry as a cracker. Lightly floral, grainy.

In the mouth: lightly hoppy, trace of bitterness. Excellent balance. Stays far from the sweet. Subtle citrus flavors, clean mouthfeel, ease of drinkability.

I'll admit that I picked this up without knowing much about it. "Hey, a new Fair State can, I'm sure that it'll be just like their last collaboration with Modern Times." And I finished off the first can a bit surprised and maybe disappointed that it wasn't an IPA. Got through the next two with no trouble, and this one is really hitting the spot.

As it is, this is quite good. I'm a bit shocked that I enjoyed a beer that boasts of it's use of corn.

I'm just a little iffy on all this pounding and crushing and "American pace" nonsense. I like my own, sometimes slow, pace.

Just some regular American lager for drinking at a regular American pace. Made with real corn, the old-fashioned way. 

No comments: