Friday, June 21, 2019

Smithwick's Irish Made Red Ale

Smithwick's Irish Made Red Ale.
4.5 % ABV. Guinness LTD, Dublin, Ireland.

I got some samples of Irish beers months back in an attempt to get me turn go all Erin Go Bragh in time for St. Patrick's Day. It didn't work. I reviewed the other two a long time back, but this one's just been sitting in the fridge giving me a puppy dog look every time I open the door. So, let's drink it up.

Clear, red, slim white head.

In the nose: Malty, herbal, slightly nutty, maybe a whiff of fruit. Little from hops.

In the mouth: Mainly malty, with an edge of roast and caramel. Hops only on hand for balance. Light bodied and drinkable, fits the Irish Red Ale style fairly well. But not well enough. I've never been much of a fan of that style, and this one isn't making me a convert.

A robust red brew with a gentle hop bitterness & a sweet malt finish.

No comments: