Friday, June 28, 2019

Junkyard How Bizarre New England style ipa

Junkyard How Bizarre New England style ipa. (sic). India Pale Ale. Brewed with Triumph hops.
7.2 % ABV. PKGD 5/31/19. Sweet Zina. (?)
Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN.

All hazed up and orange, with a slim white head on top.

In the nose: Citrus tones & pine, turning tropical. Playing it light, rather nice.

In the mouth: Sweet and fruity from the start, with traces of bitter. Sweetness increases, getting juicier. Pineapple, guava, passionfruit. Sweet malt, light body, high drinkability. A tasty beverage, but...

This New Englander is hopped with Azacca and dry-hopped with Triumph for a fruit forward IPA with prominent peach and hints of pear, melon, & orange. A nice sweet maltiness, full body, and low bitterness make for a super balanced, amazingly refreshing beer with 0 IBUs. How bizarre! 

I've said it before and I have to say it again. If you're trying to make the 0 IBU, non-bitter IPA, stop calling it an IPA! (or "ipa", as the label artist has it). You tricked me into trying it by calling it an IPA, but I'm not getting what I want and expect. I demand a bitter bite. Taking the IBUs out is like, ...well, it just ain't right, gol' durn it.

(Despite all these quibbles...it's still pretty damned delicious.)

And one more thing: I always write my notes before reading the brewery's and while I enjoy seeing how many things they have in common, it's a little jarring when they differ so much. I say light body, they say full. Was that really a full body? Am I wrong, then? So confusing...

No comments: