Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Modist Demons on the Weekend DDH IPA

Last Sunday, I stepped into the taproom at Modist, a long overdue visit. I hadn't been there since last December, for absolutely no reason. None whatsoever. (Best explanation: keeping up with the breweries of South Minneapolis keeps me busy enough, and sometimes I don't want to go downtown, or elsewhere.) And it ate me up inside, knowing that they keep putting out so many interesting beers that are worthy of review here in the Nib. It was a dizzying array on display, with a "triiiple dry-hopped triiiple IPA", a double-dry-hopped double IPA, a "Blue Hawaii cocktail" IPA, and a 12 % ABV Barrel-aged Old Fashioned Ale, in collaboration with a local cocktail bar. I purchased a glass of the last one, despite the fact that it was $12 for 4 ounces, being one of the most expensive beers I've ever bought. Well, I tried it, and it was good. But, that's the last time I'll do that.

Also, a wood-aged dark mild ale that I didn't try because there were too many double, triiiple IPAs and other weird beer, plus a West Coast Pale Ale that I've reviewed recently. And this beer. I did not buy a crowler of the Blue Hawaiian beer, because, well, you know. I tried my friend's, and that was good enough. Also, the doubled-upped version of False Pattern and Dreamyard, which I wished I'd visited the stores when they were released, but, poof, they're gone. But back to this one. I did buy a crowler, and these are the notes.

Modist Demons on the Weekend DDH DIPA. With Mango, Tangerine, Honey & Milk Sugar. (Does this make it a "milkshake"? There's no vanilla, nor any mention of haze.)
7.2 % ABV. Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. Collaboration with 18th St. Brewery, Hammond, IN.

Despite the non-announcement of the haze, it's a cloudy one, because what would you do with a clear DDH IPA? I'd be befuddled, that's for sure. Cast in a soft orange hue, under thin ivory head.

In the nose: High citrus, big blooming grapefruit, mango, tangerine. Bold and brassy.

In the mouth: Slight burst of bitterness at the beginning calms down in a quickness. Plays it soft on the palate, then in comes the sweet. Honey and lactose. Not too sweet, but just enough. But barely. Medium bodied, easily consumed.

It's not bad, some surely love it. But once more I get the feeling of brewers, as well as consumers, thinking that they've solved the problem of the IPA, improving what doesn't need improving. Call it something else, please, for the not-bitter, sweet and smooth IPA is no India Pale Ale any longer.

A demonic DDH IPA we leisurely crafted w/ our friends at 18th Street Brewery. It's overloaded w/ mango, tangerine, honey, & milk sugar, then generously hopped with Strata & Citra Cryo.

No comments: