Thursday, July 18, 2019

Oliphant Sadtana Golden Ale

Oliphant Sadtana Golden Ale.
5 % alc./vol.
Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

It's been a little over two months since my last Oliphant visit, and that means it's high time for another. There's more free cans and crowlers for me to pick up, due to my Smug Club membership, and I needed to get up the new Oliphant Brewing #1 comic book before it sold out. (Print run of only 25! I was fortunate enough to see Jeremy there, and have him sign my copy.). We were headed out to Dave's Brewfarm, too, to catch up with a whole pack of friends, and Angie came along this time, for it had been over a year since her last time at Oliphant.

There was exactly one beer on tap that I hadn't had before, and it was this one. So, I did what I do and took home a growler. And now is the time when I drink it and take notes.



The chalkboard this visit. Jeremy hasn't had time to do
any Big Jilm illustrations, but those are some mighty
nice lizard eyes. (Mariguanas.)
Crystal clear, bright golden color, ample ivory head.

In the nose: Clean, malty, some slight cereal notes.

In the mouth: Light hoppiness at the front. Clean, smooth, light-bodied. Tasty malt body, continues through the drink. Excellent balance, and quite refreshing. Easy going, as is the style. Nothing fancy, nothing fussy, just a decent beer and you can drink it.

Golden Ale isn't a style I turn to often. I regretted choosing a pint of this at the taproom, rather than a smaller pour because after a little bit of it I get it, and I yearn for something heartier. That's just me, though. This may totally be your jam. Or your jelly. Whichever metaphor you like.

As for me, once I finish this growler, I'm heading for the nearest can of Samurai Karate Guy, because my palate needs some hops, pop!

As usual, the "description" on their website tells you nothing except what inspired the name, but I'll share it anyway:

sometimes guitar is sad. sometimes guitar is happy.                                 
sometimes i play my guitar. and sometime i write crappy.

golden eel. 6% abv

No comments: