Thursday, January 30, 2020

Madhouse A.M. Haze Dry Hopped Sour Ale

Madhouse A.M. Haze Dry Hopped Sour Ale. Amarillo & Mosaic hops.
6.8 % ABV. Madhouse Brewing, Des Moines, IA. (R.I.P.)

At last, I'm cracking open a bottle purchased back in August when I visited Des Moines, unaware that the brewery would soon be closing down. How do I keep bottles for so long, all the while intending to drink them, but pushing them back, procrastinating further? I'm just bad that way. I'm trying to get better, give me a chance, folks. There's always hope for improvement in even the most hidebound procrastinators, like me.

Clear (despite the name), bright golden hued, slim white head.

In the nose: Hoppy and tart. Bold citrus aromatic bumping into the sour notes.

In the mouth: Sour from the start, bracing with citrusy hops, and a blast of bitterness. Clean, juicy, sour. Medium bodied, refreshing. I'm not entirely down with the flavors that come together, but I've never been especially keen on sour IPAs. Some tastes just don't go together.

(Of course, I also have the nagging suspicion that I might have like it better if I'd consumed it earlier, while it was more fresh. In the other hand, did I leave it in the fridge because I was never in the mood for it? I can never decide....)

Amarillo and Mosaic dry-hopped sour ale oak-barrel fermented with our house blend of yeast including Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces


No comments: