Friday, January 10, 2020

Oliphant 2blazed2bphased Peaches & Cream Sour

Oliphant 2blazed2phased Peaches & Cream Sour. 5 % Alc./Vol
Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI.

A few weeks back, I made the final pilgrimage to Oliphant of the year, number four for 2019.
It was important that I make the journey before year's end for I'd purchased a Smug Club membership and still had more beers coming to me. They don't follow over to the next year, so if I didn't make it, I'd lose out. I had two more crowlers coming to me and talked the staff into dropping the cost of two crowlers from the price of the 12 Days of Tangus boxed set. That's right, 12 crowlers of Oliphant sours, most that I hadn't tried yet. All for a mere one hundred dollars.How could I pass this up?

So, here we are with number two from those seven, another in the series named for a condition of intoxication that deals a lack of ability to function, in some way or another.

Clear, bright golden color, large and lasting ivory head.

In the nose: Tart at the start, fruit fast behind. Salt and cream detected.

In the mouth: Sour kicks it off at the outset, fruit comes in, flashes of peach, then it settles down. Sweetness, cream persists, eventually subsides. There are delectable delights in this. The fruit is somewhat subtle, downright manageable, never too anything. Just enough of everything. And especially refreshing.

A perfect example of the combination of the parts being the better than the individual elements.

Sour ale brewed with peaches, sea salt, and lactose.

There is just one song you should hear while drinking this beer and it's in the video above.

No comments: