Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Falling Knife. Atlantean Belgian Strong Golden Ale (part six of Minneapolis Breweries 2020)

On the 30th of June, while quietly observing my birthday with a couple of friends, I suggested to Ed that we go to Falling Knife Brewing in NE Minneapolis. He hadn't been there, either, so off we went. I made a call to find out if it was necessary to make reservations for a couple of seats at the bar, and I was assured that we did not need to.

Falling Knife gets it's name from a concept that I'd never heard of, that "The falling knife has no handle" meaning that if one wished to catch it in mid-flight, it is very difficult to grab it by the handle and one risks cuts or missing digits. The prudent among us would allow the knife to fall to the ground  and pick it up later. So, they're saying that they are taking risks, damn the cost. I think. Dismembered thumbs are all over their branding and iconography.

They opened up in late 2019, and I never made it out there, but certainly heard the accolades from friends. Their location is the old NorthGate space, 783 Harding St. NE #100, which I'd been to at least a couple of times. I'd always thought that if any can make it at that spot, they must have a product that can succeed outside their taproom, or have the goods inside to drive people in. Something, alas, that NorthGate did not.

What I was hearing about their beers suggested to me that they were working out a beer program that would make them the Barrel Theory of Minneapolis. Hazy IPAs, pastry stouts, fruited sours, and little else. Everything that gets the beer geeks going. Or maybe more?

Because they are so far from the bus lines, I skipped them during the winter months. Didn't want to walk from the bus during the cold times. And when the weather got better, well, that's when we couldn't go nowhere, and no one could open. Breweries needed to find new ways to sell their stuff, and Falling Knife started selling their crowlers at liquor stores. That's how I managed to get the four beers that have since appeared here in the Nib. It was way past time to see the taproom and try them there.
One commonality in all the taprooms I've
seen recently: no coasters. I think to
myself, why not just use them one time?
Well, I'm not paying for them, am I?

So, we pulled up and found a couple stools at the bar, there were only about six, all spaced out. One of the owners that I know, Dan Herman, was manning the bar, mask and gloves on. Hand sanitizer was never far away. There were people on the patio, and a handful of tables inside, one in the back and two near the exist, a larger group socializing between two tables of four. Only one other patron was seated at the bar. I closed my eyes to imagine what it was like in regular times, the noise, the crowds, the excitement and jubilation.

Ed, meanwhile, reminisced about old times in that space, wished aloud that it was decorated like in the previous incarnation, with football scarves hanging from the ceiling, and British-themed memorabilia all over. Why would they have that, I asked of Ed, when that does not fit the current theme of the new place? It's pretty damned hard keeping a British ale-only theme going when that's not going be the thing to get butts in the seats, not in that neighborhood, anyway. I kid, there, for it's not really a neighborhood, and not really walking distance from one.


Shaky Hands

As for the current decor, low-key is the style. Where there are paintings hung, they are minimal in design. Where once was a crazy cacophony of crap by the left of the bar now stands an array of t-shirts. Beyond the main room, an inoperative jukebox, for we can't communally touch things anymore, and the same goes for the trio of pinball machines in the back. Ah, what noise they might make now!

One additional note on their COVID-19 response. On their table tent detailing rules, it is strongly stated that masks are to be worn at all times, except when eating or drinking. "That means even between sips and bites" they say. I have not seen anyone else even suggest such a thing, and I can't imagine anyone complying.

Elan Vital
On with the beer! For my first pick, I went with a big one, a Belgian Strong Golden Ale called Atlantean. I don't usually go with big ones right off the bat, but something moved me. I brought a crowler and the notes are below. Second up, a small pour of Shaky Hands, an Imperial Stout with espresso and vanilla beans. Yum a dum, dum. There was one I wish I could have brought home with me. Another time, perhaps. Finally, a pint of Elan Vital, a smooth hazy pale ale brewed with Cashmere and Ekuanot hops that hit all the right buttons. Citrusy and refreshing.

Well, I'm sold. My only problem is the pricing. $7 and $8 pints aren't for me. But I let that slide for the quality. They're making good beer out here, I just might not be going out of my way for it.

Okay, now with the final crowler from my purchase that evening.

Atlantean Belgian Strong Golden Ale.
9.99% ABV.
Falling Knife Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Clear, bold golden hue, slim white head.

In the nose: Soft, sweet, bubblegummy. A little floral, a little fruity. Some citrus, a lot of stone. Nice.

In the mouth: Sweetness, fruit and Belgian funkiness take over the palate from the start. It's a light-ish body, but not one to take for granted. Alcohol hangs high in this, and the Belgian yeast/malt sweetness doesn't go down a notch.

I enjoyed this, though it doesn't quite achieve any resemblance to an authentic Belgian ale. Reminds me of Harriet's much-missed Divine Oculust, not a bad comparison. I'd definitely have another, if offered one.

Belgian Golden Strong with peppery and fruity esters




No comments: