Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Falling Knife Freischütz Northern German Pilsner

Falling Knife Freischütz Northern German Pilsner.
5.3 % ABV. 30 IBU.
Falling Knife Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

The first cans from Falling Knife came out, one of which I'd already tried in the crowler (Verbal Tip), so I went with the pilsner. Each can in the four-pack has a different illustration that can be removed and used as a sticker. Isn't that cool.
Some people are positively freaking out about it. And me, running out of places to stick stickers. After all the crowlers, (also stickers), that I went through recently, I just don't need more stickers.

And yet, it feels wrong to throw them out.

Clear, bright golden, big white head, slowly succumbing.

In the nose: Slightly malty/grainy, lightly floral, some small sweetness.

In the mouth: Brief bitterness hits the tongue on first arrival, then it all goes down smooth. Light-bodied, lean and clean. Quite refreshing. Crisp, classic, with a lingering bitter hop finish. Me, I like it. I'll have another one, sure.

It's a untraditional German pilsner, and that's fine by me. I can enjoy a hoppy one. But not this German professor customer of mine. He saw a tap handle with the words "hoppy pilsner" and laughed. "Hoppy and pilsner? They don't go together!" Well, we always have Hell for him.

No comments: