Thursday, July 23, 2020

Venn Old School IPA (part seven of Minneapolis Breweries 2020)

I flipped the script. Went for the familiar favorites instead of chipping away at the list of the ones I've left behind. I haven't been to Venn since, I think, January. There are 20 more breweries ahead of them, but, damnit, I like these guys, and I miss them. So, I biked the 4 miles through south Minneapolis to see what's going on at Venn.
Solarising. Coffee Chocolate
Golden Ale. I'll be back for
more. Soon.

I walked up to the host station (a new thing), said I wanted a seat at the bar, please. I was told, "we are not seating at the bar, currently, but there's a table over there for you" and was given a numbered can, the purpose of which was never revealed to me. I walked up to the bar and stood behind the person currently being waited on, and was told to get in the real line. Oops. There were people at the far end of the bar, but maybe they were employees, or VIPs?

American Strong Ale. 12% ABV.
Whoa.
All of the bar stools were employed as barriers to the bar, and many tables had other tables upended on top of them. Whole sections were cordoned off, because that's what we have to do.

When can we move away from 50% capacity? Asking for a friend. A few thousand of them. Millions, really. This responsible response to COVID-19 business? Amirite? Wear your masks, people. Keep on social distancing. Come on!

I had three beers during this session all of which were new to me. None of which I took notes on. I don't do that much. But I did take three crowlers home, two of which were new to me. Notes on one of them follow....now:

Venn Old School IPA. 6.6 % ABV. 60 IBU.
Venn Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Clear (at last!), bright golden color, brilliant white head, leaving sooner than I'd like. Looking good.

In the nose: Bursting with pine and citrus. Sticky stuff. So far, so good.

In the mouth: Pow! There it is, again, all the good things that an IPA should be, juicy, hoppy, bitter, refreshing. Big bitter bite up front softly fades, with flavors of grapefruit, orange, tangerine, and pine. Dank, indeed. Medium-bodied, long bitter finish.

This is the stuff, guys. "Limited Release"? Phoeey! Make it All The Time! Duh!

Party like it's 1999! Venn's take on a classic American IPA featuring old-school hops.

Malts: Domestic Pale, Red Wheat, Caramel 10

Hops: Warrior, Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook (United States)

Yeast: American Ale

Cute, but American IPAs didn't quite taste like this in 1999. Maybe ...2004? I sure would've gone for one in 1999, though. This is IPA done right.

No comments: