Friday, October 9, 2020

Drekker Chonk Peanut Butter & Jelly Sundae Sour

 Drekker Chonk Peanut Butter & Jelly Sundae Sour.

6 % ABV. Drekker Brewing, Fargo, ND.


Sundae sour. Peanut Butter & Jelly. Chonk. I will drink this. And here we go...

Hazed. Opaque. Chunkies. Floaties. Deep raspberry coloring. Slim pinkish head. 

In the nose: Berry. Rasp. And just below, deep down below, p.b. The nut butter of the pea. I'm five years old and my mommy made me a Sammy...and now it's a beer! Yay!

In the mouth: Big fruit. Overwhelming berries. Just jam-errific. Fat berries. Jam-tastic. Where did peanut butter go? Creamy. Not sour. Sundae? What the fuck is going on with this thing? I am amazed and saddened that this is what we are calling beer these days. And I paid $5.50 for this single can and I feel like a fool. 

It's juicy, and tasty...it's barely sour and I don't know what makes it "sundae"...this is fucking bullshit, and I'm getting sick of it. 

I keep trying these things because they are popular and everyone is abuzz about them and I have to try to keep my finger on the pulse of the beer world, but...this ...is ...not ...beer. This is just another example of the infantilization of beer. It's an unnatural de-evolution. What the fuck is going on? 

Why are things being called sours when they aren't?  There is no sour here. And no "sundae" either. It's a children's sandwich replicated as an adult beverage, and it makes me sad. 

Every time I ring people up with this type of beers, I want to talk to them and figure out why. Some tell me they are in the trading game, and shipping these beers out to their partners in other regions. What, doesn't every community have their version of Drekker? I thought that that's how it works now. God help us all (and I'm an atheist.)

This is too thick. Too sweet. Too fruity. Too rich. Certainly not refreshing in the least. Whatever. It's not for me. If you want to sit in the stands and observe the freak show that is now beer, by all means, enjoy. Or maybe you're marching in the parade?

It just makes me profoundly sad. 

I may make more reports in the future, stating the same. Eventually, there will be nothing to report on, but things of this nature. And this is so fucking ridiculous, I don't know what to say. 

Sorry, you guys can flip out over it all you want, but it just makes me feel sad. 

And now, for some alternate opinions, courtesy of Untappd: 

Silmar M. says: "OMG!!!!!!" not sure if I got the number of exclamation points right, they tend to blend together...

Rachel S. says: "Tastes like a PB&J, so good!"

Hadley L says: "Taking me back to grade school lunch." Of course.

Larry L. has an axe to grind: Global avg is too low. Peanut Butter is incredible in this beer. Thickness also incredible. Only thing holding back a perfect 5 is not enough jelly flavor. So much PB. (4.90)

Wow, Larry, I couldn't disagree more. This is more jelly than PB, but let us not forget that the very argument is utterly laughable. Larry, what is...just, what is wrong, my brother?

Brew C. says: I like this but I want more peanut butter! Just make a peanut butter chonk. It could be liquid peanut butter with a splash of fruit beer and I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a twinkie.

Emily F. basically squees out: "tastes just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!" 

No, it doesn't. Nothing in this flavor replicates the bread. A lot of jelly. And a lot of bullshit. 

Dan M. and I think alike: "this shouldn't be beer." No, Dan, it shouldn't and it isn't. 

Let's get over this trend, people, and let's evolve beyond this nonsense.

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

No comments: