Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Stone Woot Stout 7.0

Stone Woot Stout 7.0. Imperial Stout brewed with pecans, wheat, rye, and quarter aged in barrels.

11.5 % ABV. 45 IBU. Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA. 


And now we have my first notes on a Stone Woot Stout, the collaboration with former Star Trek star and home brewing enthusiast Wil Wheaton, which they've been making, in various variations, for many years. Seven, I think. Further research shows that I've logged in to other versions on Untappd, almost all of them at Acadia, kegs that I'd ordered. The Farking Wheaton W00tStout of 2015. The 13 % version of 2016. Looks like that's it. But, I never brought it home for note-taking. Time to change that. 

Utterly obsidian, complete opacity, slim dark head. 

In the nose: sweet, malty, a touch of spice. Deep...cavernous.

In the mouth: Dark and rich. Full bodied. Cocoa, coffee, dark fruit, tobacco, leather, all the usual suspects in attendance, but not much more. And the oncoming rise of alcohol rears it's head rather quickly. A bit of the barrel comes through in the flavor, Bourbon barrels. Just a touch of the whiskey, the wood, the cherry and vanilla. 

And I always love a good imperial stout. Didn't pick up any pecans, though. Not sure why you'd use them if you can't taste them. Just me, though. 

No comments: