Monday, December 19, 2022

Surly Mozzofiato Italian-style Pilsner

 Surly Mozzofiato Italian-style Pilsner.


5.9% ABV. Surly Brewing, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The very last can from the previous Surly Variety Pack. I said I couldn’t buy the new one until I finish the old. And pilsners aren’t a favorite style, sorry if that shocks you. So, let’s take a look at this one so I can finally try the Baltic Porter in the new variety pack. 

Clear, bright golden color, slim white head.

In the nose: lightly hopped, floral, slight sweetness.

In the mouth: soft, smooth, with negligible bitterness. Clean, crisp, highly drinkable. Light bodied. Lingering, likable finish.

I’ll keep trying out these Italian Pilsners when they come my way, as they are bound to, being such a popular style. I can’t see myself going out of my way for one, though. 

Italian pilsners differ from their German cousins thanks to a pop of dry-hopped flavor, adding a little bit of swagger to an otherwise reserved style. Classic Saaz hops make this “breathtaking” Italian Pils sunny, bright, and lemony. 

Hmmm. I really didn’t taste any swagger. Oh, well…

No comments: